Our community passed a local Mill Levy Override in 2012, thanks in great part to all of you and your volunteer, grassroots support! Have you been wondering what our school district has used the extra funding for so far? We were too, so we met with Terry Schueler, CFO of the St. Vrain Valley School District. Some of the funds approved by the voters in November have been allocated for use during the 2012-2013 school year. The budgeting process works like this:
- Each March: The School Board begins discussions about the following year’s budget.
- Each June: The School Board adopts a budget for the coming academic year.
- Each January: The School Board amends the budget based on any new information.
- Monthly: The SVVSD Finance and Audit Committee meets on the second and fourth Mondays of the month, as published on the Board calendar. These meetings are open to the public.
The School Board amended the 2012-2013 budget in January, taking into consideration the increased funding available as a result of the Mill Levy Override that was passed in November. The 2012-2013 amended budget included the following:
- Opening a Spark! Preschool in what is currently Frederick Elementary.
- Addressing capital needs including bringing the preschool playground at Hygiene Elementary up to code.
- Improving the technology infrastructure in all schools, particularly to support the new phone systems. This begins an estimated three year process to complete the move to a VoIP (voice over internet protocol) phone system.
- Implementing a managed copier service contract for all schools and efficiently hooking them to the network, which will not only protect privacy/security on documents but reduce waste.
- Purchasing the myON Reader program for elementary schools district wide. St. Vrain sponsored a MyOn Reader contest between December 12th – January 9th. Our elementary students read 87,259 books in that time! The superintendent gave a total of $10,000 in prize money to the top three schools. By the way, did you know that myON had a national contest over the holidays for books read in the program, and 4 of the top 5 schools nationwide were from the St. Vrain district? As a result those schools each won $500 in electronic books.
- For detailed information about the SVVSD budget, please visit their website.
Laura McDonald, President
Lisa Hainline, Vice President
Lisa Granat, Treasurer
Stacey Bahr, Secretary
Paula Peairs, Communications Director
Carolyn Storz, Outreach Director