How have the ongoing state cuts to education affected St. Vrain? Have you seen an impact? Probably not (yet) – and here’s why. The school district has been aggressively pursuing new revenues through grants and improved services; drastically reducing administrative and overhead costs, and reducing building budgets by 25 percent. But there aren’t enough innovations, efficiencies and savings to keep up with the $24M in state cuts to St. Vrain. It gets even harder if the state cuts an additional $8 to $10 million from St. Vrain next year – as policymakers suggest is likely.
To date, St. Vrain has absorbed state cuts with minimal visible impact – but savings and efficiencies are running out and the impact of budget cuts is starting to show.
- Middle school & High school class sizes increased by an average of one student this year.
- Some AP class offerings have been eliminated.
- Vacant teacher positions are not being filled – some schools are job sharing or rotating between core subject areas and/or specials positions.
- At least one school has cut five minutes from the school day to accommodate streamlining bus routes.
- Elementary school field trips are being cancelled or funded by parents or private company donations, where possible.
- Families and students are being asked to donate an increasing amount of classroom supplies.
- Parent groups are providing support for paraprofessionals, focus school fees and technology.
Ask your principal what the impact of state budget cuts has been in your school. Take action today for Proposition 103! You can find many options on our website as well as a few outlined below.
Only 14 days until mail-in ballots go out – only 35 days until November 1st.
- Sign and stamp mailers from the comfort of your home using this convenient online tool.
- Make phone calls to targeted voters using the online tool.
- Walk with local teachers and drop campaign literature at select homes on October 8th from 9:00 – 11:00 am.
- Write a letter to the editor – tell your story.
- Read the recent Boulder Weekly article for more perspective about Proposition 103.
- Share information via Facebook/Twitter – LIKE us on Facebook SHARE our Facebook page with friends. FOLLOW us on Twitter.
- Talk to your friends, neighbors, local community leaders/groups.
It’s Up to Us to get the word out about Prop 103 and stop a fourth consecutive year of education funding cuts from the state. Remember, you can’t spell “EdUcation” without YOU.